We all know meditation is good for us. But, more than that, it just feels so very good. Here at Tazeka we simply wouldn’t be without our daily meditation practice.
Yet so many people insist they "can't" meditate. We don’t believe that, not at all. Truly there are a million and one ways to meditate. It’s just a case of finding one that suits you. You don’t need any special tools or cushions or a dedicated meditation space. You don’t need to sit in any particular position – the lotus position is definitely optional! Simply find a place where you won’t be disturbed and choose a way of sitting that is truly comfortable. That could be on the floor, cross-legged (perching your bottom on a cushion or yoga block with your knees on the floor keeps your back straight without strain). But equally you could sit upright on a supportive chair with your hands resting gently on your knees.
Try to set aside a time every day for your meditation. Whatever works for you is fine. Start off with five minutes and gradually extend. But hey, even if you only manage a minute, that’s cool.
Here are a few forms of meditation to try. Whichever you choose, we’d recommend adding a dab of our Meditation Guru blend to help ease you into the right frame of mind. Can’t stop your mind churning over and over? Don’t worry – it’s natural - but our Nonstop Thoughts blend can help.
- Just breathe
Most forms of meditation start with the breath. It’s so simple it can seem almost too easy. Yet the challenge is in getting to the point where your thoughts stop skittering around all over the place and become less intrusive.
- Just sit comfortably and softly close your eyes (if you prefer you can keep them open, softly focused on one spot).
- Start to become aware of your breath. Don’t try to control it in any way – just notice how you breathe in, and out, and the pause between breaths. Keep your attention focused on the breath.
- Every time your mind wanders, gently return to the breath. Don’t beat yourself up or judge your thoughts – just let them go.
- Use a mantra
Simply pick a sound or phrase that appeals to you. OHM is the classic (often taught in yoga classes). Tone it slowly with three sounds – AH-OH-MMM). But you can simply use a vowel sound – such as “aaah” or “oooh”. Or pick a word or phrase you like such as “Peace”. Sit calmly and slowly repeat your chosen sound over and over. Keep your attention on the sound: if it wanders, gently bring it back. Or hum – it’s seriously soothing. Breathe in and hum on the exhale, as loudly as you can – feel it vibrating around your head.
- Count to ten
All you do is to count very slowly from one to ten in your head, keeping your attention on each number. If you feel your attention wandering (and undoubtedly it will, often before you reach three!), simply go back to one and start again.
- Gaze on a candle
Sit down comfortably in front of a lighted candle. Simply focus your eyes on the flame and watch it. Notice the way it moves, the colours within it. When your attention wavers or your mind starts jumping, gently bring it back to the flame.
- Walking meditation
Your aim here is not to get to somewhere but to be fully present in every part of every step.
- Start by standing still. Become aware of your body, your posture, how you stand on the earth.
- Now walk very slowly, so slowly you pay attention to every part of every step. Say “lifting” as you lift up your foot; “moving” as your foot moves through the air; “placing” as you place your foot down on the ground; “shifting” as you shift your weight onto that foot.
- Repeat with the other foot and continue in this way. Yes, it’s really slow. Again, if your attention wanders, bring it back to the walking.
Gentle Meditation Support Blend
This lovely spiritual blend is tailor-made for diffusing – it will turn any space, no matter how humble, into your own Zen temple!
- 10 drops Lime (Citrus aurantifolia)
- 10 drops Elemi (Canarium luzonicum)
- 25 drops Frankincense (Boswellia sacra)
20 drops Vetiver (Vetiveria zizanoides)
Add 10 drops to diffuser.